Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Alice -- the Turbo Knitter

Although quite late in creating a Blog ... here I am at last.


SO ... allow me to introduce myself. I was born in Brooklyn, New York, and was taught to knit by my mother when I was 8. As the only "leftie" in the family, I learned to knit right-handed ... but when my mother decided to try to teach me to crochet -- we both gave up quite quickly.


When I was 9 I bought a "Learn to Crochet" book, and with the use of a mirror, finally learned to crochet. My mother was then able to teach me more intricate stitches, and the ability to read patterns.


I think because I taught myself to crochet, it was my first love for many years. However, for the past 10-15 years, it's been KNIT KNIT KNIT. I still crochet on occasion, but I just love the calming effect knitting has on my very soul.


I knit with various groups on Monday evening, Wednesday morning, monthly Guild meetings, and a combination beading/knitting group -- which also meets on a monthly basis. There are also occasional "fill-in" fixes.


I love to teach -- and anything and everything I know, I am more than willing to share. Isn't that what it's all about?


OK ... my personal life. I am the mother of two children -- both adults, a son Evan and a daughter Karen. My son has 7-year-old twins, Ashley and Paul. My daughter has a son, Paulie, who will be 5-years-old in a week, and twins, Nicholas and Jacob, who are just about 27-months-old now. My son and his wife and children live in Florida, and my daughter, her husband and their children live in Illinois. I just visited Illinois a week or so ago, and in another two or three weeks, I am planning to go to Florida.


My SO (Significant Other), George, and I travel a lot. While he is driving, we listen to books on tape and ... I knit (as if you had to ask).


OK ... my purpose in creating this blog: I want to share the books I'm reading, the things making, and other details of my life. I also want feedback, suggestions and opinions. YUP ... I am FEARLESS!

1 comment:

auntteek1 said...

Hi Alice,

I think we may have met once or twice. I believe you are the person responsible for my continuously chanting the kitchener mantra. In fact, I kitchenered the top of my mitered vest last night (while chanting, of course) and it is purrfect.

Kidding aside, good luck in you new endeavor....
See you soon, Karen